High Level Design Free Document Template
A High Level Design Document (also called HLDD) is a formal document that describes at high level a solution, platform, system, product, service, or process.
HLDD is very important in a multi-project development because it allows software engineers to have a big picture of the solution they provide.
High Level Design Free Document Template Structure
The free HLDD template covers the following topics:
- Introduction – This section presents the document scope, the audience it is intended to, and assumptions.
- Architecture – This chapter presents the high-level architecture diagram depicting the components, interfaces and networks that need to be further specified or developed
- Flows – This chapter describes all information flows relevant for the developers to understand allowing them to properly write quality code. .
- Product Components – This chapter describes all product components.
- Product Features – This chapter provides description of the product features.
- Data Flows – This chapter describes data flows per flow level and product component.
- Redundancy – This chapter presents the redundancy per database, product and queue.
- Statistics – This chapter presents the a brief description of statistics produced by the product.
- Alarms – This chapter presents the alarms (error code and text) the product will raise.
- Migration – This chapter describes the migration tools if any.
- Appendix – Could contain any additional information, code, etc.
- References – This section contains reference to relevant documentation.
- Glossary – This section contains the glossary of terms used within the High Level Design Document .