Functional Specification Free Document Template
A functional specification (also called FS) is a formal document that describes in great detail a product’s intended capabilities, appearance, and interactions with users. The functional specification is used by software engineers to write code. Very often technical writers used to create user guide and other user manuals.
If your system or product consists of various modules, you should create a
Functional Specification Free Document Template Structure
This Functional Specification free document template covers the following topics:
- Introduction – This section presents the document scope, the audience it is intended to, and assumptions.
- Module Description – This chapter presents the module functionality in great detail. Enter a brief description of the solution architecture and how module is situated in the architecture. Also mention the module components
- Flows – This chapter describes all information flows relevant for the developers to understand allowing them to properly write quality code. .
- Interfaces – This chapter describes external interfaces to which the product communicates to..
- Internal Data Model – This chapter provides description of the product internal data structure.
- Functional Description – This chapter presents the module functionality per components.
- Appendix – Could contain any additional information, code, etc.
- References – This section contains reference to relevant documentation.
- Glossary – This section contains the glossary of terms used within the Functional Specification.