5 Steps to Grow Personal and Professional [INFOGRAPHIC]
Building professional profiles is an easy task but when it comes to personal and professional development we have an issue with the path to follow.
Some might wonder why personal and professional development? An appropriate work-life balance is the key to a happier life!
This cute infographic presents the 5 steps to personal and professional development.
1. Setting Goals Effectively
To effectively set your personal and professional goals, you might consider following the steps:
- Make your goals positiveIf you set positive goals and think positive, you will definitely be successful in achieving them.
- Make sure goals sets out precisely what you want to achieve.
- Prioritize goals. Imagine you have many tasks to solve at work. To finish all tasks within the specific deadline, you need to prioritize your tasks. You should do the same with the goals you set, there might be long-term goals and short-term goals, and therefore you might consider achieving the short-term goals first. Why? Because the short-term goals could lead to achieving long-term goals.
- Write goals down. Seeing goals written down on paper, might be an incentive for you to take proper actions to achieving the goals. And let me tell you from own experience it is really true.
- Make you goals small. I have a long-term goal that will share with you: to make 1million dollars in the next 9 years. At a first glance, it might sound incredible and impossible, but I think positive and I set multiple small achievable goals to achieve this long-term goal.
- Make the goals performance oriented. The best you make your goals performance oriented, the happier you get when achieving the goals.
- Make your goals realistic. This way you avoid “running after green horses on the walls”, meaning that you won’t try to achieve something impossible.
- Avoid setting goals too low. Try to set the goals at appropriate levels of performance, setting goals too high or too low could impede you achieve the real objectives you have in mind.
Why is aligning goals so important?
Ensuring work goals, plan and activities reflect the organization’s plans, and own responsibilities and accountabilities will definitely lead to organization’s success. Aligning own goals to organization’s goals will result in less effort and higher productivity. Think how the working environment would be with less frustration within the organization.
2. Set and meet own priorities
When I’m talking about setting work priorities, I’m talking about talking initiative to priorities and facilitate competing demands to achieve personal, team and organizational goals and objectives. If you are a manager you know the best that “Management” by definition is the allocation of limited resources, which requires making good choices, in other words, prioritizing.
Have you asked yourself how do good managers distil a clear short-term focus and a clear set of metrics? The answer is that they do it “constantly”.
You might have been so busy, you had so many tasks you could not even find your head. What should you do? Prioritize. Urgent and Important matrix might be an excellent prioritizing tool for you to use.
Use technology efficiently and effectively to manage work priorities and commitments. Social media networks, various software applications and hardware might easy your day-to-day life and job.
3. Measure and maintain personal performance
There are several steps to follow in order to measure and maintain personal performance in varying work conditions, work contexts and contingencies:
- Ensure you set realistic goals.
- Do a “to do” list.
- Prioritize tasks.
- Delegate tasks effectively.
- Take appropriate action when necessary.
- Learn to say “NO”.
- Plan time for yourself. You might say why is this necessary? If you want to have a rowk-life balance and be satisfied with yourself it is important.
To ensure effective use of work time you should organize, manage and rethink your goals on a regular basis. Furthermore, create plans with milestones for higher goals and track your time to ensure you focus on achieving your goals.
It might be helpful for you to ask yourself “How is my personal performance measured?” If you do not have the answer, do not hesitate to look deeper and find out the answer as it might help you develop personal and professional.
4. Maintain appropriate work-life balance
Why is it so important to maintain appropriate work-life balance? To be happy.
You should be aware that Work-Life balance does not mean an equal balance and your best individual
work-life balance will vary over time. There is no perfect, one-size fits all, balance you should be striving for.
At the core of an effective work-life balance definition are two key everyday concepts that are relevant to each of us. They are daily Achievement and Enjoyment.
Meaningful daily Achievement and Enjoyment in each of my four life quadrants are: Work, Family, Friends and Self.
A proper work-life balance will ensure stress is effectively managed.
5. Eliminating stress
Somehow eliminating stress is closely related to an appropriate work-life balance.
To ensure stress is effectively managed and health is attended to you should:
- Take control of the situation.
- Pace yourself.
- Open up to others.
- Do things for others.
- Balance work and recreation.
I will close this post with Malcom Fraser’s words: “life wasn’t meant to be easy”